It is the mission of the Community Reformed Church of Colonie to love the Lord our God with all our hearts, with all our souls and with all of our minds; and to love our neighbors as ourselves. (Matthew 22:37-40)
The Community Reformed Church was established in 1966 as an outreach of the First Church in Albany. First Church is the oldest Reformed Church in America church, founded in 1642. Our building sits on the former site of the South Family Farm, part of the first Shaker settlement established in the late 1700's. Our roots run deep.
During our 50-year history, we have had only three pastors: Rev. David Coddington, Rev. Norm Tellier, and Rev. Bruce Cornwell, who passed away in October 2023.
The Reformed Church in America, a mainline Protestant denomination, traces its history to the Netherlands and the 15th century Protestant Reformation in Europe - particularly the Swiss Reformation and the reformer John Calvin.
• Community Reformed Church blends a semi-liturgical style of worship with a contemporary message. Services are creative and may incorporate the many talents of our congregation such as music and drama.
• A bulletin containing the entire service is followed. A star next to a heading indicates that we stand in body or in spirit. Bold italics designates congregational responses. Large print bulletins are also available.
• Communion is celebrated monthly. The elements are served throughout the congregation by our elders and deacons. All are welcome at the table of our Lord. Gluten-free wafers are available.
• Nursery care is provided by church staff for infants through age 3. Children age 4 through 2nd grade may attend Children in Worship following the Children's Message during the worship service.
• A coffee hour follows each service and is a time for conversation and fellowship. (not currently available)